Golf Bible focuses on Great British and Irish men’s elite amateur golf, providing competition, rankings and other related information.
Here’s the latest GB&I amateur golf news: –
1. Home favourite Vítor Londot Lopes (-15) won the Portugal International Amateur Championship at Montado Golf Resort. Bailey Gill (ENG) and Ben Jones (ENG) finished tied 2nd on -12. In a good week for England Thomas Plumb -10 was tied 6th, Josh McMahon (-8) 9th, Robin Williams (-7) 10th and Conor Gough (-6) tied 11th – Results (17/02/18)
2. James du Preez (RSA), 22, won the African Amateur Stroke Play Championship at Glendower GC with a 274 (-14) total. Caolan Rafferty (IRE) -7 was the top GB&I finisher coming in tied 6th. Other notable scores were Andrew Wilson (ENG) -4 8th, Alex Gleeson -1 tied 12th and Jack Gaunt (ENG), Euan Walker (SCO) and Mark Power (IRE), all +1 tied 14th – Results (16/02/18)
3. The European Golf Association (EGA) today announced their 12 person teams for the men’s Bonallack Trophy and women’s Patsy Hankins Trophy matches, both against the Asia-Pacific region. Todd Clements (ENG), Robin Dawson (IRE) and Matthew Jordan (ENG) were selected for the former whilst Annabell Fuller (ENG), Paula Grant (IRE) and Isobel Wardle (ENG) made the latter team. Both matches will be played at the Doha Golf Club in Qatar on 8-10 March. The EGA press releases can be accessed here – MensBT (15/02/18) / WomensPH (15/02/18)
4. Harry Ellis (ENG), who represents Florida State on the US College circuit, has been selected to The Ben Hogan Award 2018 Watch List. The Ben Hogan Award is issued annually to the top men’s college golfer taking into account all competitions during a 12-month period from June to May. The 27 man Watch List will be reduced to 10 Semi-Finalists on 11th April – BHA Announcement (14/02/18)
5. Sweden’s Oliver Gillberg (23) won the South African Stroke Play Championship at Pecanwood G&CE. His -27 261 total set a new record for the event which was being played for the 49th time and has an illustrious list of past winners. Scotland’s Sam Locke produced his best international performance to date, backing up his 2017 Scottish Amateur win, with an -18 tied 5th finish. Alex Gleeson (IRE) -15 was tied 13th and Calum Fyfe (SCO) -13 tied 19th – Results (09/02/18)
The Dunlop Caddie Advertising Figure
6. England’s Gian-Marco Petrozzi won the New South Wales Amateur at Royal Canberra. Having led 6 Up after 25 holes he ultimately required a 50 foot eagle putt on the 37th hole to overcome Australia’s Jed Morgan in the Final. David Hague and Mtthew Jordan both qualified for the Match Play Stage but lost in Round 2 – Medal SP Results (30/01/18) / Amateur MP Results (02/02/18)
7. Garrett Barber (USA) won the Jones Cup Invitational at the Ocean Forest GC in Sea Island, Georgia. There were encouraging finishes for Harry Hall (ENG) tied 8th and Joe Pagdin (ENG) and Ryan Lumsden (SCO) who both tied 15th in this prestigious event – Results (28/01/18)
8. England’s David Langley finished tied 9th at the Gauteng North Open at Waterkloof GC in South Africa. Home favourite Kyle McClatchie shot 64 and 62 on the final day to finish on -25 over the 72 holes and win by 7 shots from compatriot Keegan Mclachlan. McClatchie (20), who won the 2017 Brabazon Trophy at Woodhall Spa, turned Pro immediately following the event – Results (28/01/18)
9. George Bloor and Bailey Gill led England, who were unbeaten during the event, to a third place finish in the Men’s Octagonal Match, played at Costa Ballena in Spain. Spain beat The Netherlands to secure the title in the Final game – Results (26/01/18)
10. David Hague is continuing his good form ‘Down Under’. This time in the Men’s Avondale Medal, played just north of Sydney. A best of the day 67 in Rd 4, following on from a 69 in Rd 3, saw him lose out by just one shot to eventual winner Blake Windred (AUS). Fellow Englishman Matthew Jordan could only manage a 75 in the final round but still enjoyed a good overall result finishing tied 9th – Results (26/01/18)
A separate Golf Bible Walker Cup website covers the biennial men’s amateur team match between Great Britain & Ireland and the United States of America.
The @GolfBible Twitter account, which now has over 7,200 followers, provides daily updates on both men’s and women’s amateur competitions. The twitter feed can be accessed by clicking either the above link or Menu tab.
You may also want to take a look at the GolfBible Pinterest account. There’s over 3,200 golf photos to flick through here with some of the more recent additions shown below (slide photos upwards to view more).
I hope you will find something of interest and enjoy exploring the various parts of Golf Bible.
Copyright © 2014-2018, Mark Eley. All rights reserved.