Golf Bible focuses on Great British and Irish men’s elite amateur golf, providing competition, rankings and other related information.
Here’s the latest GB&I amateur golf news stories: –
1. England’s David Hague reached the Quarter Finals of the Australian Amateur in Perth where he lost a tight match by 1 hole to Japan’s Keita Nakajima. Nakajima went on to win the Championship beating David Micheluzzi 4&3 in the 36 hole Final. The Yorkshireman continues his rise up the amateur rankings and now sits on the cusp of the World’s Top 100 – SP Results (17/01/18) / MP Results (21/01/18)
2. Ireland’s Alex Gleeson (-7) finished tied 5th at the South American Amateur in Argentina. Canadian Chris Crisologo (-13) won the Championship helped in no small part by a 64 and 66 in rounds 2 and 3. Alex’s compatriot Robin Dawson and England’s Jack Gaunt (-4) tied 12th in the same event – Results (16/01/18)
3. English trio Harry Hall (+2 T7), Matthew Jordan (+5 T13) and Gian-Marco Petrozzi (+7 T19 all recorded top 20 finishes at the prestigious Australian Master of the Amateurs event. Home player David Micheluzzi (-14) was the winner at Royal Melbourne GC (East Course) finishing the 72 hole competition with rounds of 65 and 64 to win by 5 shots – Results (12/01/17).
4. I’ve updated my GB&I Amateur Golf Rankings analysis page to take into account Quarter 4 2017. I thought Ben Jones was deserving of my Player of the Amateur ‘award’. (01/01/18)
5. England’s Lily May Humphries completed a superb 2017 by winning the Girls’ Junior Orange Bowl Championship in Miami – Results (30/12/17)
The Dunlop Caddie Advertising Figure
6. I’ve completed my Men’s Amateur Golf Review, reflecting on 80 events and the achievements of 143 players in 2017 – My Review of GB&I Men’s Amateur Golf In 2017 (24/12/17)
7. England’s Ben Jones finished tied 2nd at the South Beach International Amateur, nowadays one of the strongest event’s in the men’s amateur golf calendar. The high finish, completing a superb year for the 18 year old from Northampton, saw him jump up 293 places in the updated SPWAR to #123 – Results (22/12/17)
8. The R&A have announced a 14 player provisional GB&I squad for next year’s 2018 Curtis Cup match which will be played at Quaker Ridge in New York – R&A Announcement (14/12/17)
9. The USGA have appointed Nathaniel Crosby as their new Walker Cup captain. The next match will be played at Royal Liverpool GC in September 2019 – Nathaniel Crosby Will Captain The U.S.A. Walker Cup Team In 2019 (13/12/17)
10. I’m hearing that both the Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking (SPWAR) and World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR) will be under going something of a refresh in 2018. Both are planning website updates in Quarter 1. More importantly at last week’s US college golf coaches convention in Las Vegas it was announced that from Autumn 2018 the USGA will be taking over responsibility for the WAGR from the R&A. Fingers crossed we finally see some material changes to the WAGR’s methodology as a result of this. (16/12/17)
A separate Golf Bible Walker Cup website covers the biennial men’s amateur team match between Great Britain & Ireland and the United States of America.
The @GolfBible Twitter account, which now has over 7,150 followers, provides daily updates on both men’s and women’s amateur competitions. The twitter feed can be accessed by clicking either the above link or Menu tab.
You may also want to take a look at the GolfBible Pinterest account. There’s over 3,200 golf photos to flick through here with some of the more recent additions shown below (slide photos upwards to view more).
I hope you will find something of interest and enjoy exploring the various parts of Golf Bible.
Copyright © 2014-2018, Mark Eley. All rights reserved.